PRESS RELEASE: June 5, 2017
COUNSELING ORGANIZATIONS PROPOSE PORTABILITY PROCESS TO INCREASE ACCESS TO CARE
WASHINGTON, DC – A groundbreaking collaborative effort of four major professional counseling organizations aimed at improving access to quality mental health care nationwide has resulted in a proposed uniform portability plan called the National Counselor Licensure Endorsement Process.
The four organizations – the American Association of State Counseling Boards (AASCB), the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES), the American Mental Health Counselors Association (AMHCA) and the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) – believe that a uniform licensure endorsement process will:
- Significantly increase public access to qualified care.
- Establish minimum standards for safe practice.
- Reduce administrative burdens for state regulatory boards and licensees.
- Create consistency in licensure standards across state lines.
- Ensure protection of the public and the continued development of the profession.
An overarching goal of the initiative is to move the counseling profession toward unified education standards, exam requirements and years of postgraduate experience. To see the National Counselor Licensure Endorsement Process, please go to http://www.amhca.org/portability2017.