- This event has passed.
Half-Day Workshop: Growing a Counseling Practice with Less Legal Risk
June 16, 2018 @ 8:30 am - 1:00 pm
Rochester College – HL115 in the Nancy & Ennis Ham Library Bldg
Building closest to the road (not the Arena)
800 West Avon Rd., Rochester Hills, MI 48307
Registration: 8:30 am / Workshop: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
The Presenter is principal and founder of The Health Law Center, PLC.
Ms. Craig began her professional career as a registered nurse in the cardiac care unit at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston, where she provided acute care and health counseling to patients. After several years of practicing as a cardiac nurse, she had a chance opportunity to audit a graduate course in health care law and ethics, which changed her career path. That course propelled her to earn her law degree. The Health Law Center was founded on the principle that while the laws and regulations that regulate how health care is delivered are complicated, clients should never feel overwhelmed, confused or frustrated.
Ms. Craig represents clients in need of business formation and planning needs, risk management and legal compliance services, contract negotiations, representation in professional licensure investigations and administrative actions, and HIPAA audit and compliance matters. Her professional dedication and career accomplishments were recognized by Detroit’s Business Magazine, which awarded Ms. Craig its Top Lawyer in Health Care Law award for three consecutive years. Ms. Craig is a member of MMHCA.
(1) Understanding Being Employed Versus Starting Your Own Practice
(2) Keys to Finding the Right Supervisor
(3) Appreciating the Differences Between a Supervisor Versus a Mentor
(4) Complying with HIPAA Privacy and Security Requirements
(5) Responding to Special Issues–Minors, Subpoenas, and HIPAA Security Measures
(6) Avoiding Professional Licensure Actions
(7) Practicing Within Ethical and Boundary Parameters
What this is About: In this workshop, Ms. Donna J. Craig, RN, JD will provide professional counselors with practical guidance on how to address key issues and steps in establishing a counseling practice, complying with regulatory requirements, responding to subpoenas and requests for therapy notes, protecting against professional licensure actions, and complying with HIPAA requirements. Through interaction with workshop attendees, Ms. Craig will provide case studies to illustrate a variety of issues facing professional counselors.
Approved: 4 CREDIT NBCC HOURS
“MMHCA has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider,
ACEP No. 2064. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified.
MMHCA is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.”
- MMHCA and Allied Health Members: $75.00
- Non-Members: $100.00
- MMHCA 1-Year Membership Plus Workshop: $175.00
- Non-Member Group Rates: $90.00 each (for groups of 5 or more attendees)
These are the steps required.
- Contact RDavisLPC@gmail.com
- Print out applications and complete one form for each attendee.
- Applications and a check must be mailed no less than 10 working days prior to the workshop.
- Mail check for the TOTAL group amount to:
MMHCA, Attention Terry Mike, PO Box 80036, Rochester, MI 48308
- Students: $75.00
* No refunds after June 8, 2018
To register by mail, send in the information below along with a check:
Address, City, Zip:
Total Fee: $
(Mark with “X”) Check: Visa: Master Card: American Express:
Signature (mail-in only):
Check or money order payable to: MMHCA Mail to: MMHCA, PO Box 80036, Rochester, MI 48308