MMHCA has worked tirelessly on your behalf to protect and advance the counseling profession in Michigan!
Thanks to the hard work of MMHCA Board Members over the years we have shaped a very positive and strong relationship with government, mental health agencies, corporations, medical communities and nonoprofits.in Michigan
We are very proud of our profession and where it is going in the future. We have been instrumental in creating a living wage and creating exceptional options in the mental health and business arenas. We continue to build visibility while we ask your support on our journey.
MMHCA was at the forefront of developing and passing the LLPC/LPC legislation in 1988, helped create the Scope of Practice. We later gained reimbursement from insurance companies, defended our ability to diagnose before the Michigan Attorney General. We monitor the Board of Counseling and State Legislation impacting counselors. We retain a paid Lansing Lobbyist on a yearly basis to help facilitate this complicated bureaucracy, and navigate government decisions as they pertain to mental health counselors.
We are a 501c6 nonprofit Association representing Mental Health Counselor’s and Allied Health Professionals. MMHCA is a chapter of the American Mental Health Counselors Association. It is the only Association actively representing mental health counselors in Michigan.
MMHCA has existed for over 35 years accomplishing a great deal. The LLPC/LPC professionals would not have thrived without our vigilance and interventions. We are persistent and willing to do the hard work. We celebrate what we’ve accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time.
“Work hard in silence, let success be your noise” – Frank Ocean
- Led the effort to pass the LLPC/LPC Law.
- Helped develop the Scope of Practice for our profession.
- Negotiated reimbursement from insurance providers, and most recently, Blue Cross Blue Shield Michigan.
- Monitors the Board of Counseling and legislation which impacts counselors.
- Holds meetings with MDHHS, LARA, Community Mental Health, Corporations, Nonprofit Associations, and other stake holders to educate them on the issues of concern and to strengthen our status as core service providers.
- Retains a highly regarded Lansing based Lobbying Firm.
- Provides top-notch training workshops. DSM 5, ICD 10, Billing and Coding, Private Practice Development, Ethics and the Law, Trauma Recovery, etc.
- Held over 40 Human Trafficking Workshops.
- Present workshops in conjunction with Graduate Student Associations.
- Holds monthly Networking Breakfast Meetings featuring BCBSM Consultants, our Lobbyist, and updates on issues of concern to counselors.
- Works actively with AMHCA to Include LPC’s as core providers under Medicare.
- Formed a 501c3 (Michigan Mental Health Providers Association), to allow donations and to form affiliations with all mental health providers.
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim Blundo, MMHCA Executive Director